The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2024, 02:35 PM   #61
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ford CEO - Americans need to “get back in love” with small cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
The same thing is happening in all areas of business, the accountants run the show.

Yes, they need to make money but when engineers are fighting for a $1 bolt and the accountants have only allowed 50c............
The heads of companies, these days, are puppets for accountants!!
very true, how come Ford have been running like that for the last 30yrs in that case
Every single Export market they have screwed up, not recently for decades.
As long as Nth Merica is OK, with what, damn pick ups.
Oh hang on we can't stop Mustang might I add, the only USA OE performance marquee never to have gone out of production unlike the stops and starts of their local competitors not that thats any guernsey might I add.
Most USA companies are backward and insular thinkers, no wonder someone like Musk has been able to make them look like rabbits in front of headlights re EV's, wasn't hard.
Its been the bean counter company forever and its day, sure smart business but at what costs overall.
You reap what you sew.
jdp China been a basket case long before they looked to re invest heavily the last 10+yrs.
GM/VW owned the major % of the market long long before and before the CCP/Chinese cars started Exporting.
Now that the CCP have built up their brand/model Export product AND incentivised their consumers to their own brands not surprised Ford share is not much, funnily it wasn't much since I started frequenting there the last 25yrs.

They bean counter company has screwed up big time, driven customers away and help other brands grow.
Real sad, typical yanks with their heads in the sand.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2024, 04:25 PM   #62
swamp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi
Ford need to up the quality of design B4 before they conduct any more public testing of their products .
Apprentice designers diff plugs to low .
Dual clutch gear boxes
Paint so thin u can see thru it
Transmissions developed with all the bolt on parts being chinese / under designed = resulting in predictable failures
Many parts are very simple and have been designed properly before . Not talking minor repairs but major very costly failures
Luv the product but its getting harder to do .
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM   #63
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
very true, how come Ford have been running like that for the last 30yrs in that case
Every single Export market they have screwed up, not recently for decades.
As long as Nth Merica is OK, with what, damn pick ups.
Oh hang on we can't stop Mustang might I add, the only USA OE performance marquee never to have gone out of production unlike the stops and starts of their local competitors not that thats any guernsey might I add.
Most USA companies are backward and insular thinkers, no wonder someone like Musk has been able to make them look like rabbits in front of headlights re EV's, wasn't hard.
Its been the bean counter company forever and its day, sure smart business but at what costs overall.
You reap what you sew.
jdp China been a basket case long before they looked to re invest heavily the last 10+yrs.
GM/VW owned the major % of the market long long before and before the CCP/Chinese cars started Exporting.
Now that the CCP have built up their brand/model Export product AND incentivised their consumers to their own brands not surprised Ford share is not much, funnily it wasn't much since I started frequenting there the last 25yrs.

They bean counter company has screwed up big time, driven customers away and help other brands grow.
Real sad, typical yanks with their heads in the sand.
The Ford Vs Ferrari movie even stated what i did, I wonder if they had insider knowledge!

Fortunately for us, unfortunately for others, they always seem to hire great talkers as their puppets.

Remember the US way, 'Wolf of Wall Street' 'Elon Musk', awesome talkers/communicators. They could sell sand to the Arabs, on the car front, obtaining large amounts of cash under the name of 'Investment'

Lose the cash, get out and start talking again. S_itty cycle of bad structure and decision making that continues today.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

For all of Ford’s commercial failings, the C2 platform shows how many different types
of vehicles can be built under the one product envelope and in the same plant.
In theory, a single flexible plant could build any of the following in whatever product mix required
- Focus Hatchback
- Maverick
- Bronco Sport
- Larger SUV like Chinese Edge
- Latest Mondeo

Ford’s brain is definitely broken because if it was firing properly, it would be maximising
how it uses all of its C2 products to leverage efficiency and deliver a whole range of vehicles
to customers in various regions. The fact that Farley has never fixed that problem is an glaring
example of why Ford continually fails with supplying a wider range of affordable, desirable products.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #65
mondeomatureguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Guys,
iam not really sure how the big wigs at Ford think. After Allan Moffat won in 1977 he was sitting in Fords head office and said "we need more money for 1978 because when Holden get beaten like they did 1977 they spend big and the new Torana A9X will kill us unless we get more money.

After a matter of weeks after the big win in 1977 Ford slashed funding to Allan Moffat. His reduced budget meant in 1978 he had reliability problems and of course never finished the race at Bathurst.

Like i said before not every body wants a SUV or a Ford Mustang. Ford if your reading this Bring back the Falcon and Mondeo.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #66
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Guys,
iam not really sure how the big wigs at Ford think. After Allan Moffat won in 1977 he was sitting in Fords head office and said "we need more money for 1978 because when Holden get beaten like they did 1977 they spend big and the new Torana A9X will kill us unless we get more money.

After a matter of weeks after the big win in 1977 Ford slashed funding to Allan Moffat. His reduced budget meant in 1978 he had reliability problems and of course never finished the race at Bathurst.

Like i said before not every body wants a SUV or a Ford Mustang. Ford if your reading this Bring back the Falcon and Mondeo.

Yep they told him we’re out actually no more funding period after that brilliant season and Bathurst 1/2.
Pathetic.
You know what’s funny and the slap in the face to them to this day now ?!
Mustang, they are finally the only one dipping in to the stoopid Supercars who treat them with disdain and they still hang in there with egg on their faces, probably just deserved how Ford USA have treated Australia consumers not just motor sport.
My last new Ford was a FGX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
it's not just what Ford in the US are doing themselves, but they give corporate direction to the rest of the development sites. I'm sure Ford of Europe would have kept the Mondeo going as it still sold well, but Ford US wouldn't approve.

We could have kept Falcon going, but it would have needed significant investment to keep the 4.0 running at Euro 5, or investment to change the powertrain. Neither of which Ford US would approve.

Territory was still selling well, and could have lasted a good few more years with investment, but again, Ford US wouldn't approve.

Frankly, I think we only lasted as long as we did here as we had an absolute star of an advocate in Trevor Worthington. Interestingly, last year's big job cuts only happened after he retired...... coincidence?
Couldn't you have just retired the 4L and continued with the 2L Ecoboost that could meet Euro V?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #68
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Couldn't you have just retired the 4L and continued with the 2L Ecoboost that could meet Euro V?

Volumes Franco volumes.
It was all on the nose other side of the pacific more so due to their lack of foresight long before shutting down.

Old Today, 11:00 AM   #69
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The emission limits for Euro V and VI are similar to IV, the big difference is guaranteeing them to 160,000 km
which required maintenance of emission equipment and maybe different oils (?) for different cat converters

A lot of the negativity about the I-6 was supposition that was dispelled when modelled on emission program
available via T6. Another possible option was adoption of the 2.3 EB or compact 2.7/3.0 EB V6s.
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The emission limits for Euro V and VI are similar to IV, the big difference is guaranteeing them to 160,000 km
which required maintenance of emission equipment and maybe different oils (?) for different cat converters

A lot of the negativity about the I-6 was supposition that was dispelled when modelled on emission program
available via T6. Another possible option was adoption of the 2.3 EB or compact 2.7/3.0 EB V6s.
They already had the 2L Ecoboost in the Falcon since FGII, so surely it would have been a low cost option to discontinue the 4L and continue with the 2L Ecoboost which would be able to meet Euro V requirements without extensive investment.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 11:38 AM   #71
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Volumes Franco volumes.
It was all on the nose other side of the pacific more so due to their lack of foresight long before shutting down.

80 or less a day (total) makes it a no brainer, there was no way investment was coming for E8 with those volumes period.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #72
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Why I said volumes - was a no brainer.
I understand that completely - the under lying issues from way back was smarter business models regards range not just the local produced product.
Ford euro models imported here too expensive.
Not getting a suv ala territory into market much earlier than when released playing catch up let alone how long it took for the diesel.
If I recall right Politis flew over thumping his fist in the boardroom to get that approved.
It’s just been badly run business once the imports started making inroads.
They rested on the laurels of the old days when Falcon Holden ruled supreme add in the politics and ROI losing heaps of market share it was a given.
Again due to lack of foresight many many moons ago imo.

2 users like this post:
Old Today, 01:12 PM   #73
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Why I said volumes - was a no brainer.
I understand that completely - the under lying issues from way back was smarter business models regards range not just the local produced product.
Ford euro models imported here too expensive.
Not getting a suv ala territory into market much earlier than when released playing catch up let alone how long it took for the diesel.
If I recall right Politis flew over thumping his fist in the boardroom to get that approved.
It’s just been badly run business once the imports started making inroads.
They rested on the laurels of the old days when Falcon Holden ruled supreme add in the politics and ROI losing heaps of market share it was a given.
Again due to lack of foresight many many moons ago imo.

Ford Territory was released before most other SUV’s in this market, and early on it was being produced at up to 170 per day 6 days a week.

Free trade agreements, cheap imports, & no exports, Go figure, there is no surprise that the local industry collapsed.

Eg: I know of at least one local supplier who couldn’t source raw materials at the landed price of Chinese automotive parts for local use.

There is your answer: global competition as well as low volumes in a first world country, not a poorly locally run local business ( that had to do things on a shoe string budget).
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 05:01 PM   #74
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They already had the 2L Ecoboost in the Falcon since FGII, so surely it would have been a low cost option to discontinue the 4L and continue with the 2L Ecoboost which would be able to meet Euro V requirements without extensive investment.
Of course it could but you’re missing the point, engine approval to Euro 5 and 6 was not the major hurdle,
it was Ford’s way of saying no more funding for local production beyond that deadline.

Sure, Ford could do this or that to extend Falcon and Territory but the sales were on life support
all through FG, FGII and FGX, every reprieve was a minor victory but you know what, the moment
Holden knew that Ford was definitely pulling the pin, GM waited for the first excuse to leave as well.

Holden arguably did way more investment in Commodore, stationwagon, Caprice, Cruze
even chased exports like the government wanted but seriously, it all came to nothing in
terms of protecting local manufacturing, they pulled out in spite of all that investment.

The other tell was that Toyota also pulled out of Australia and found lower cost production offshore.

Last edited by jpd80; Today at 05:07 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 05:07 PM   #75
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Ford Territory was released before most other SUV’s in this market, and early on it was being produced at up to 170 per day 6 days a week.

Free trade agreements, cheap imports, & no exports, Go figure, there is no surprise that the local industry collapsed.

Eg: I know of at least one local supplier who couldn’t source raw materials at the landed price of Chinese automotive parts for local use.

There is your answer: global competition as well as low volumes in a first world country, not a poorly locally run local business ( that had to do things on a shoe string budget).
Territory release was perfect almost to the month when SUVs overtook sedans in sales in the Australian market. With the intuitive product design (the style of the car without having to have live axle 4x4) they absolutely nailed it for concept and timing. It soon raced to the top of the sales, to prove it. Later development, however...
Old Today, 05:23 PM   #76
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Of course it could but you’re missing the point, engine approval to Euro 5 and 6 was not the major hurdle,
it was Ford’s way of saying no more funding for local production beyond that deadline.

Sure, Ford could do this or that to extend Falcon and Territory but the sales were on life support
all through FG, FGII and FGX, every reprieve was a minor victory but you know what, the moment
Holden knew that Ford was definitely pulling the pin, GM waited for the first excuse to leave as well.

Holden arguably did way more investment in Commodore, stationwagon, Caprice, Cruze
even chased exports like the government wanted but seriously, it all came to nothing.

The other tell was that Toyota also pulled out of Australia and found lower cost production offshore.
The word is FG was VERY borderline, but Government funding eventually got it across the line.

It could have gone pear shaped 8 years earlier for the local Industry.

A small market, and as GM and Ford have said, local volumes needed to support investment before exports, (exports are volatile volume wise), that local volume really required a minimum of 120,000 units out of each assembly plant.

Everyone here can do the math.

Remember a 4 billion dollar vehicle program (yes that is what it takes for a ground up new vehicle), needs to be amortised across the sales volume for that program.

So each vehicle built needs to carry the cost of development and tooling to make the program justifiable. If that vehicle then becomes too expensive (theoretically) to compete in the market it can’t go ahead.

That is what happened to Falcon and Territory unfortunately.
Old Today, 05:43 PM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everything was critical, Ford worked on project 123 V6 engines for a while
but once it showed Euro IV I-6 was $20 million,it diverted some of the failed
Focus manufacturing fund ($30 million) to that and done deal.

Asian markets refused to buy an Australian manufactured Focus so the export
plan collapsed, the same way Territory exports did, Asia only wants to sell to
us and have plants and jobs in their countries, they get the value adding not us.

Polites said government funding was critical to FG and without it, Ford would have
Just upgraded B Series and probably exited by 2010.
Old Today, 05:59 PM   #78
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Don't tell us what we should buy. Build what we want to buy.

FORD - can't get anything right!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 06:13 PM   #79
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

Yeah MAGA.

Ford, Holden, Toyota can’t get it right in Australia.

You should go into business and do it yourself.
Old Today, 06:14 PM   #80
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Everything was critical, Ford worked on project 123 V6 engines for a while
but once it showed Euro IV I-6 was $20 million,it diverted some of the failed
Focus manufacturing fund ($30 million) to that and done deal.

Asian markets refused to buy an Australian manufactured Focus so the export
plan collapsed, the same way Territory exports did, Asia only wants to sell to
us and have plants and jobs in their countries, they get the value adding not us.

Polites said government funding was critical to FG and without it, Ford would have
Just upgraded B Series and probably exited by 2010.
And we had free trade agreements with those Asian Countries.
Old Today, 06:26 PM   #81
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Yeah MAGA.
What an odd thing to post.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 08:55 PM   #82
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

What drives me nuts is how can Ford get Ranger & Everest so right (8,500 last month)
and yet be unable to supply anything else in decent numbers…

The vehicles that would probably do well here are behind a LHD only wall
- Maverick Ute
- Bronco Sport
- Chinese Territory Sport (2-row soft reader)
- Chinese Equator (3-row soft reader)

Rumours persist that Territory will be sold in South Africa as RHD but I can’t get confirmation…
but if that is true then Equator RHD is a near cousin and wouldn’t be a big added step…